Friday, January 27, 2006

Dowdy Creek, Imagery and the Lord of War

Not that it's rained alot at home but the Dowdy's (our neighbors with the farm) now have a creek in the field. Thanks Isaac for sending the picture.


I didn't do much today. We watched a movie called "Lord of War" with Nicholas Cage about the illegal arms traders of the world. A note at the end of the movie was pretty chilling. The largest arms exporting countries in the world are:

1. United States, $18.5bn
2. Russia, $4.6bn
3. France, $4.4bn
4. United Kingdom, $1.9bn
5. Germany,$900m
6. Canada, $900m
7. People's Republic of China, $700m
8. Israel, $500m


Then I played with my photo editors and did this image from one that Matt took.



No Scrabble but I did get a recipe for Gumbo from the TV and Food Network that looks great.

Quote of the Day
"There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?" ~ Nicholas Cage as the gunrunner Yuri Orlov from the movie "Lord of War"

The title of the movie comes from this exchange between the warlord of Liberia Andre Batiste Sr. and Yuri


Andre Baptiste Sr.: They say that I am the lord of war, but perhaps it is you.
Yuri Orlov: I believe it's "warlord."
Andre Baptiste Sr.: Thank you, but I prefer it my way.

No comments:

Copyright

©Paul Viel