Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day - Winchester Bay

Memorial Day is a special day of remembrance for our soldiers from past and present conflicts and for those who we loved that have passed on. Michael Tritico from my days at Holy Name was lost in Viet Nam the first time I remember war really affecting me personally. There are so many more I never knew and I'm sure some I knew but never heard the news. There are others lost in my life but none as personal as my parents (Margaret and Paul), aunts, uncles and my mother-in-law (Virginia). Of course that is not all those I remembered today but I could write until the middle of June and not mention them all.

So today we took off from home to go to Winchester Bay/Salmon Harbor to hear the Marine Corps Band and to get some seafood BBQ. Of course just before we get to Reedsport there is the Elk viewing area that was lush and green today. Unfortunately the elk were at the east and west ends of the viewing area so I got no pictures.


After a nice lunch at the elk viewing area we arrived at Winchester Bay. Ed was a little tired after the drive and took a nap in the sun in front of the RV overlooking Salmon Harbor.


A little later a Jet Boat with some tourists snuck by slowly. If you want to book a tour you can call 541-271-0231 and the boat is the Miss Leta I think and their web page is http://www.jetboatodyssey.com


I took this picture through the shades on the window of an Oyster place across the bay. Thinking about how much Virginia loved oysters.

Panning across the Harbor from north to south..........

North

... Northeast

...East (nice boat isn't it)

.... Southeast (Cool Pier)

South


Northwest (Yes that's the Musemobile with Satellite up and tucked in for the day/night)


I really liked the ripples on the mostly placid safe harbor.


They even reached the pier south of our campsite.


Sharyn and Ed stopped for a pose after a nice walk down to the pier.


As the sun set and darkness began to fall Mr. Mallard surveyed the lights of Salmon Harbor Boat Docks and the town of Winchester Bay


There is a touch of magic in the twilight at this beautiful sea coast town.


Scrabble Score - last 4 games Scrabble Queen 1 - The Contender 3 (I've had really lucky draws lately.)

Quote of the Day
"“True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost."

Arthur Ashe quotes (American social Activist and Tennis Player, the first black winner of a major men's singles championship. 1943-1993)

No comments:

Copyright

©Paul Viel