Thursday, August 07, 2008

On to Charleston and Meeting Allen Jackson

We decided to leave our sweet son Issac at home with the Chicken Pox and head off to Shore Acres in Charleston, Oregon.

Well on the way we stopped in Drain, Oregon, Gateway to the Pacific Ocean, to take a picture of an old "Painted Lady" that someone is fixing up.


Then just out of Reedsport there was the Roosevelt Elk Preserve at Dean Creek. The Elk were on a coffee break.



Next we stopped in Winchester Bay's Salmon Harbor. I found this small garden next to Kitty's Kitchen and Christmas Shop. Well I can't resist flowers so I snapped 50 or so shots and here is a sampling.


For such a small garden 10x30 feet (rough estimate) it was spectacular.


There was just about every color imaginable...


... and just about any shape.


Several were Dahlias and some I'd never seen before


I wish this picture did this one justice but it's impossible to show detail and also show the placement of each plant and the variety of colours (for any UK visitors to the blog) I added a "U".


This Dahlia I recognized as a Santa Claus Dalia from a visit to a Dalia farm but I could be wrong.


The entire garden was like a mini tour of Shore Acres where we will go tomorrow.


I am told the garden is managed and designed by a local woman who lovingly plans and cares for this gem of Winchester Bay.

Just to give you an idea of how the colors work together I included this shot.


The garden does have many Dahlias like this one...

... but there are other varieties like this Clematis that's exactly like one we have at our home.


There were a few really big bumble bees. This one was larger than the flower.


These two decided to play on a really different Dahlia shaped like a star.


Well we moved on to our campground at Oceanside RV Park. Our campsite is close to the Tenters who are nestled in the high bushes close to the ocean.


This is a great spot only a few yards from the Musemobile. I caught a few people coming around a point that leads to a very secluded, low tide only, section of beach.


We walked over to the point and climbed a little on the rocks...

... and found this interesting shape of rock bulging out of the rock floor.


While I was up higher Sharyn explored a tide pool for sea life.


Then I met Allen (or Allan or Alan) Jackson and his dog Ember who had just come back from the "Secluded " beach on the other side of the point. I had to ask how secluded the beach could be if I had seen fifteen people and three dogs come back from there. I guess not that secluded.


Ember posed for a great shot on Mr Jackson's command.


So we walked back to the Musemobile satisfied but wishing it wasn't quite so overcast. I really love the high grasses on the ocean and I think it's like a little bit of Kansas in Oregon.

Scrabble Score - Well I thought I won only to find out there we 10 letter tiles still in the bag after we scrambled the board so the game was technically a tie.

Quote of the Day ~
Probably some of the songs I never even really listened to the lyrics. Half of them I'd hear off the radio and was probably singing the wrong words and didn't even know it. ~ Alan Jackson

(born 17 October 1958 in Newnan, Georgia) is an American country singer and songwriter who has sold over 50 million records. He was influenced by the new traditional country of the 1980s, and he was one of the most popular country singers of the 1990s, blending both honky tonk and mainstream country sounds

No comments:

Copyright

©Paul Viel