Saturday, July 14, 2007

Salem Saturday Market (Salem, Oregon)

We thought we would hit a different Saturday Market this weekend so we drove up to Salem, Oregon our state's capitol city.


Before we left I snapped a shot of one of our day lilies.


As we arrived in Salem I got a good shot of something else red a cool hot rod.


While the Eugene market has someone protesting this or that or promoting hemp as the next great salvation of the world, in Salem this is the closest thing to "far out" I saw at the market was this poster. Might be a good place to go next time you surf the web.


Of course there were the usual flowers and they are my favorite subjects to shoot at close range.


They are usually colorful and normally don't get odd looks on their faces when I snap a photograph


The veggies are pretty good at standing still like the purple cabbage and ...

.. Kohlrabi (Brassica oleracea Gongylodes Group) is a low, stout cultivar of the cabbage which has been selected for its swollen, nearly spherical, Sputnik-like shape. The name comes from the German Kohl ("cabbage") plus Rabi ("turnip"), because the swollen stem resembles the latter.


Ceramic Boot planters are pretty unusual and I think these are made to be painted. They are unusual but I can't imaging what I'd do with one.


These bird houses were pretty cool but I already have three that haven't been nested in yet so I decided to pass on them as well.


I had the pleasure of listening to Carra Barratt sing at the outdoor area set aside for eating the variety of food offered in some of the booths. I even bought one of Carra's CDs that were for sale. I listened to it on the way home and really enjoyed the music. She even signed the CD for me. So please go visit her web page (http://myspace.com/carrabarratt) where you can hear three of the songs on the CD. She is a wonderful singer and like Scrabble Queen and I lived in the San Diego area before moving to Portland.


There was a flock of sunflowers at the market and I have a few on this blog. This one has a golden center...


This one is almost black


This one has dual colored petals


then there is this one with a fluffy center,

and finally this one has a button center.


My favorite bloom was this one in muted shades of blue, violet, green and white.

Other than Carra Barratt there were some other musical people there like this young violinist and her mom sitting on the curb.

Then there were the twins that posed for a picture (I think the little boy was their brother but I'm not sure). The tee shirts reminded me of Click and Clack the Tappet brothers on NPR's Car Talk. There closing statement goes like this:
Click says "Don't drive like my brother" to which Clack replies "and don't drive like my brother"


It was cool to see this Rex putting together a "twig" chair. I was always curious how they did that.

OK so we couldn't pass up either the Caramel or Cinnamon Buns (YUMMY!!!)

I did like the colors in these bells but didn't buy one.


This display of Raku ceramics was very nice.
Raku originated in Japan in the 16th century, where raku vessels were and still are used in the traditional tea ceremony. It is a low-fire technique, where bisqued work is quickly heated to red hot temperature and then taken out of the kiln and reduced in wood shavings, newspaper or a similar combustible material. Raku ware is decorated with low-fire glazes, which usually contain a lot of frit. The clays used for this firing technique contain a high percentage of grog, so the work will be able to withstand the high temperature fluctuations, although this doesn't mean that other clays can't be used.


Just for Dr. Red Sox a reminder Oregon is great for fishing and Happy Birthday bro.


Finally I liked the "Grandpa's Place" sign but personally I like the "Precious Place" but would prefer it in Blue.

Scrabble Score - The Scrabble Queen 323 the contender 318

Quote of the Day
"It was a wonderful concert. I was sitting too far away, but I think if I'd been closer I would have cried more and gone into that sort of crazed hero worship zone which probably freaks the hell out of musicians who end up as rock stars. At least musicians who don't have god complexes." ~ Carra Barratt (singer songwriter) from the Web Log at Myspace on seeing a concert by Jeff Tweedy at Spreckles Theater in San Diego.

No comments:

Copyright

©Paul Viel