Sunday, April 23, 2006

Great company, wine cheese and bread

It was a typical spring day in Oregon. It was raining hard, overcast, high winds and near freezing. I hope the opening lines scared away all the NOregonians (yes a Noregonian is anyone not living in Oregon) because it was a drop dead great day today in the 70's and not a cloud in the sky.

I do want to thank Andrew for planning the day and where we went it was a very special day. Thank you son.

While Andrew and his friend Brook(e) shot some pictures I did the same as we all looked up the hill to the King Estates Winery including Doreen after donning her shades.


So this is what we saw.


The vineyards reminded me of the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun" and the beautiful scenes of the Tuscany landscape. The vineyards we very impressive and great to just see the grapevines growing.


I can't imagine how it would feel having this for a view every day.


We went to the wine tasting room for a sit-down snack of cheese, meats and bread with some olives and olive oil and Balsamic Vinegar for dipping and the purpose was to taste the wines. I'm not much of a wine drinker but the ones I tasted were ok especially the sweet desert wine. The area was very simply laid out with rich leather and dark wood.


Then we took the tour. I couldn't believe the size of the containers used to process the grapes.


Or the ornate cask room,


With small.......


And very large casks neatly placed around the room.


I liked processing vat #111 it looked a bit like a Titan Missile


Finally we were out the door.


Here is a view of one of the buildings on the estate.


Then there was this dog biting an old guy also leaving the winery. Not really it was his dog and the lady is his wife.


Then we went back to Eugene for a late lunch - early dinner at a restaurant on the north bank of the Willamette River near downtown Eugene.


My only picture in the restraunt was of the ceiling fan but the food was good.


In the parking lot there was a car with a couple of great stickers on it. This one and ....


....this one.


Next we went to Skinner Butte which overlooks the city for a fantastic views of Eugene and the surrounding area like this one of the city center.


and this one of the University of Oregon's, Autzen Stadium.


But my favorite view was the one of Jim and Doreen (pictured earlier) we couldn't ask for better friends. We DO miss you Michelle wish you were here. I know it's difficult to see all of our extended family and I do miss the time seeing Bryan and his sweet family and I wish we could have spent more time getting to know Jason and his family now that he isn't the little boy I showed how to kill snails with salt. We do think of you all.


No Scrabble

Quote of the Day ~
Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money. ~Cree Indian Proverb

No comments:

Copyright

©Paul Viel