Saturday, August 22, 2009

Up the McKenzie River


Before we took off I got this picture of our Cosmos getting ready to bloom. As Sharyn pointed out it looked like someone put one of those dinner mints on top, pretty cool.


After we hooked up the Musemobile at Patio RV and looked out the window we saw a rafting group fly by in the river.


The water was swift and looked like silk in this time exposure.


Day two we drove up the Old McKenzie Highway to the Lava beds and just before getting to the lave came across Scott Lake a beautiful high mountain lake.


Walking to the shore I started to take a picture of a butterfly/moth (I don't know the difference and the little bugger (pun intended) landed on my thumb. I quickly took a picture knowing I'd just get one shot...


... I was wrong I also got this one and ten others ...


... so I thought I'd post a few here ...


... and so I did and the little guy hung out with me for 5 minutes.


Sharyn was laughing at something and I turned to see a stump that looked a bit like the rear end of a human.


Farther along the road was bounded for miles on either side by lava rock.


At the top of the pass is the Dee Wright Observatory:

"Dee Wright Observatory is located at the summit of McKenzie Pass on McKenzie Highway, State Route 242. The elevation of the observatory is 5,187 feet. The viewing windows inside the structure are referred to as "lava tube" viewing holes. Through these windows visitors can view and identify several of the Cascade Mountain peaks. A bronze "peak finder" is located at the top of the structure.

The Civilian Conservation Corps, Camp F-23 of Company 927, built the observatory from lava rock during the Great Depression. It is named after Dee Wright, the foreman in charge of the Camp.

Since its completion in 1935, the observatory has been a favorite attraction for thousands of visitors each summer. Interpretive panels, located on the paved trail to the observatory, tell the story of early travelers and area geology. A restroom and the trail to the structure are accessible for wheelchairs and, strollers. The Lava River Interpretive Trail is located next to the observatory, offering an unusual half-mile hike through young lava flows on a paved trail."


From there you can see all the mountains that surround the pass ...


This is Mount Washington 7,802 feet tall and 5.2 miles away and ...

... this is Mount Jefferson 10,495 feet tall and 28.5 miles away.


From the top of Dee Wright Observatory I saw these skate boarders reminding me of my sons ...


... who all loved and still love skate boarding


Back at the camp one of our fellow campers was sitting by the cool river reading a book I think is Blue Heaven by C.J. Box, at least that's on the back cover.


Then there were more rafters, some were laid back letting the guide do the work...


... some of the others thought they were actually guiding the boat...

... some actually pointed the way ...


... some had small crews and were in their own raft...


... some private rafters had big crews.


I guess it was cute butterfly/moth day and while this little guy didn't land on my finger it did pose for two pictures. This is the first shot.


I really like this picture perhaps because the flower isn't perfect. It's a little past full bloom but wonderfully shaped.


My favorite rafting crew was this family group with a little person waving as they passed.

The last rafters were interesting all moved to the front and slanting the boat to the front. It was a good few days and with the temperatures 106 degrees F in Creswell the lower 90's wasn't too bad and close to the river it was closer to the 70's at times.

Scrabble Score ! Scrabble Queen prevails by 51 of the lowly Contender.

Quote of the Day-
"When you put your hand in a flowing stream, you touch the last that has gone before and the first of what is still to come." ~ Leonardo da Vinci

No comments:

Copyright

©Paul Viel