Friday, January 09, 2009

Entwined at Maude Kerns Art Center


It's January 9th and a new show at the Maude Kerns Art Center.

Entwined: Baskets & Fiber
Running from January 9 through February 6
The exhibit features the work of seven basket artists, Donna Sakamoto Crispin, Deb Curtis, Patricia Montoya-Donohue, Lei McCornack, Mariana Mace, Kree Kree Snyder, and Sheila Marie Collins Tasker, as well as fiber wall hangings by Philomath artist Babette Grunwald. Inspired by nature, each artist uses natural materials to create works which reflect a fascination with form, texture, and pattern.


This wonderful piece by Donna Sakamoto Crispin is titled "Natural Woman" and was created from Northwest sedge, Banana fiber, Beargrass, Iris and Daylily leaves. The wonderful face bead was created by Dana Swisher.


Another of Donna's pieces titled "Shamaness" displayed a beautiful weave and color.


Patricia Donohue created "Hombre de la Tierra IV" from Northwest sweetgrass, Copper, Birch and Stones. I really liked the creativity as well as the weave.


Lei McCornack created "Waves" from Seagrass and Shells...


... the shells were tiny so here is a close-up - beautiful work.


Lei also created this beautiful and delicate piece that reminds me of Easter (which is way too far away) and the old baskets from when I was a child but this one shows a great deal more creativity and skill.


I should have looked closer but I'd swear this one was made from seaweed and shells and made me long for a trip to the Pacific.


This all looks very creative a group of three items by Deb Curtis but the best part of this art is that its wearable.


Deb was kind enough to model her hat, tie and gloves. A sweet person with a very sweet story. The gloves were hers at confirmation or communion (I can't remember sacraments very well) and she turned them into this very clever "Personal Attire." Thank you Deb I like your style and smile.


The image on the right is "Bird Roost" by Patricia Donohue created from Willow, Red Osier, Cherry bark, Birch and Leather. On the right Mariana Mace presented one of the more intriguing pieces that so much reminded me of the old days in the Pacific Northwest sorry I missed the title.


Sabrina and Kelly, who are an integral part of the staff, were wearing black in honor of my two pictures not selling at the members show. These young ladies always have a smile for visitors and help make Maude Kerns visits by anyone a treat.


I got to meet Babette Grunwald thanks to an introduction by Karen (also wearing black) the Center director. I really liked her work with fibers so I've grouped them all together. She is a Philomath artist a few miles north and west of Eugene and does lovely work. It was a pleasure to view her work and also say hi.


This piece is "Untitled" by Babette.


This piece is "Bark" created by Babette as a mixed media and fiber piece.


"Chaos" is the title of one of my favorite pieces in the show another of Babette's eye candy with substance.


This is another of Babette Grunwald's pieces. What a magnificent piece.


Babette titles this piece "Moss Bark with Leaves" and made me realise the limitations in producing small photographic images from very intricate work that really should be experienced in person.


Sheila Marie Collins Tasker created "Willow Bodice" from various willows. I liked this basket for the shape and the colors throughout. It reminds me of swirls of a tornado rising to the sky.


Yes, the staff WAS wearing black but like this picture of Kelly and Karen they all were shining and smiling for the New Year


I went by the Karin Clarke Gallery which was closed but I had wanted to see what artist was scheduled this month and found it is Christopher Perry.


After looking in the windows I am impressed and will get by there when I can to get a better look.


Perugino Cafe is across the street from the Karin Clarke gallery. It's a great coffee cafe with free WiFi and it's a great place in the downtown area.


Finally a couple of happy souls were walking along Willamette and asked about my camera, (a Sony Alpha) the young lady is a Canon person like my son. They looked so nice together I took this picture and handed off my card inviting them to check out the blog. If you get here I hope you like the shot.

No Scrabble game tonight But!!! The Contender won yesterday.

Quote of the Day
"We all have our own life to pursue, Our own kind of dream to be weaving... And we all have the power To make wishes come true, As long as we keep believing." ~ Louisa May Alcott quotes (American Author known for her children's books, especially the classic Little Women. 1832-1888)

No comments:

Copyright

©Paul Viel