Friday, December 07, 2007

Holiday Bridges

As so often happens in my life Scrabble Queen suggested a field trip that turned out to be a great opportunity for shooting some pictures and was fun as well. This time it was to go see the Christmas lights at the Westfir Covered Bridge.

Wesfir is only a few miles (41)from home and a pretty easy drive - unless it's dark and rainy. Well actually it was dark and rainy but the drive was easy despite the weather.


When we arrived the rain let up and gave me a chance to to do more testing with the Canon (Micromuse) Camera. This was the first picture I took.

I didn't have a flash so all the pictures were taken with available light and long shutter speeds. I took the Tripod along and used the countdown delayed shutter activation in order to have no movement of the camera.

Walking closer you can see the Westfir Covered bridge has separate tunnels for vehicles and pedestrians. It's not hard to tell the car tunnel from the people tunnel.


This is the car roadway and ...

This is the one for people walking through.

I took another inside view of the pedestrian side.


From the outside it's hard to see the bridge but the windows are easy to spot.


I finally took one more from the other side of the bridge - it was pretty special to see.


Halfway to Westfir is the Lowell Covered Bridge over Dexter Lake. It was built in 1945 when I was two years old. I liked shooting here because of the reflections on the water.


I thought it was interesting how the light on the water was so much brighter than the lights in the windows.


We arrived home and I figured if I was shooting Holiday Lights I should take one at the house to show I am not just a light viewer but also a big believer in letting the lights shine for Peace in the spirit of celebrating renewal and life.

Scrabble Score ~ Scrabble Queen 327 - The Contender 326 Arggggghhhh!

Quote of the Day ~
"Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither, in a wayward course, over a great ocean of anguish, reaching to the very verge of despair.

I have sought love, first, because it brings ecstasy - ecstasy so great that I would often have sacrificed all the rest of life for a few hours of this joy. I have sought it, next, because it relieves loneliness--that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into the cold unfathomable lifeless abyss. I have sought it finally, because in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature, the prefiguring vision of the heaven that saints and poets have imagined. This is what I sought, and though it might seem too good for human life, this is what--at last--I have found.

With equal passion I have sought knowledge. I have wished to understand the hearts of men. I have wished to know why the stars shine. And I have tried to apprehend the Pythagorean power by which number holds sway above the flux. A little of this, but not much, I have achieved.

Love and knowledge, so far as they were possible, led upward toward the heavens. But always pity brought me back to earth. Echoes of cries of pain reverberate in my heart. Children in famine, victims tortured by oppressors, helpless old people a burden to their sons, and the whole world of loneliness, poverty, and pain make a mockery of what human life should be. I long to alleviate this evil, but I cannot, and I too suffer.

This has been my life. I have found it worth living, and would gladly live it again if the chance were offered me." ~ Bertrand Russel [Prologue to his Autobiography]

No comments:

Copyright

©Paul Viel